April 2006 Staff Reports to the board
Music Director
Sybil Augustine
- The Thursday late night position vacated by Patrick Swickard has been filled with similar programming by Brian Steele, who is an experienced and enthusiastic volunteer who is fitting in very well with our DJ pool.
-We have an intern coming to be at least a 6 month temporary addition to the Other Voices female programming collective, who have been seeking additional members.
- My work-study student has had some family emergencies and hasn't put in any hours for a couple of weeks. I'm not certain but I don't think I have funds for another student until the fall semester, and will have to rely on volunteers to help me out until then.
- We are low on music reviewers and off-air volunteers right now since Longku (music librarian and Wednesday volunteer "crew leader" has been on leave, but I now have many ideas and resources to increase participation. It's a good thing since every time I leave a huge backlog builds up.
- I have met with our Friday afternoon programmer to follow up on several training issues, and the two shows I heard since then showed marked improvement on several levels, so I'm confident she'll continue her progress towards becoming another staple of the WORT schedule.
- The Promos group is going VERY strong with several new additions and a lot of energy! Concerts will be slowing down soon, so I'm going to open up sessions to programming volunteers so they can come in to get help recording promos for their shows, and to learn how for themselves.
- I have a number of items drafted or already sent out to music list-serves that I'll compile into a paper music newsletter, which I haven't been able to get to yet but plan to have out in early May.
- I'll also plan a music reviewing party and launch some of the new library upkeep techniques I've learned in early May to catch up from this very busy time for new releases. Weekly open music meetings are an idea that I'm now convinced we should be trying and I want to start those ASAP.
-Several nationally produced music specials for Black History Month/Women's History Month/etc. have been aired on jazz and rock shows, with good response. I think it's an important addition to our programming to occasionally have such specials.
- I created a Rock genre flyer to pass out at concerts, and provide an example for the outreach folks to follow for other genres. It really isn't that hard since I was able to do it in less than an hour and I'm not that good at graphics stuff. The next priority will be Folk programming flyers and I also found a nice template for this from KBOO, our host station at the conference.
Jim Goronson
We have almost finished entering in unpaid pledges (just a few to go) in the Listener Sponsor database and here are the current numbers: $96,911 in pledges entered with $86,032 in pledge fulfillments received (a fulfillment rate of 89%--7 weeks after the end of the drive). I'm anticipating that the final numbers for the Winter '06 drive will be in the vicinity of $98,000 in total pledges with a fulfillment total approaching $90,000.
The Winter Pilot was mailed to 3,014 people in mid-February and so far we have received 107 donations totalling $5,651.
FALL
With all pledges processed from the drive the total amount pledged is $111,281. We have received $101,778 in pledge payments--a fulfillment rate of over 91%.
We have received 111 donations totalling $9,120.
Editing of content for the 12-page Spring '06 Pilot is currently underway by volunteer editor Laura Miller. Laura will finish editing all of the articles by this Friday 4/28 whereupon I will send the edited content and photos/graphics to graphic artist Carol Bracewell. The Spring Pilot will be mailed to between 3,000 and 3,500 people in early to mid-May in advance of the Block Party on May 21st.
SUMMER 2006 "PLEDGE CRUISE" (mini pledge drive)
Say goodbye to the "Below the Radar" concept (for now). WORT’s “Summer Pledge Cruise” (mini pledge drive) will begin on Tuesday May 30^th and will last for a week or so (i.e. until we reach our goal of $15,000). Included in the fundraising festivities will be a WORT benefit by journalist and filmmaker Greg Palast on Sunday June 4^th ! Palast will be kicking off his new national speaking tour at The Orpheum Theatre (or Barrymore, or somewhere else).
While a departure from our “Below the Radar” appeals of the past two years there are differences in this pledge drive as compared to our traditional on-air pledge drives that we have in the fall and winter. As an example, there will be less pledge rapping per hour by our on-air hosts. No goals will be established for the individual shows—only the overall station goal for the drive. Therefore while not “below the radar” it will be low pressure in character. Premiums/ /are limited to WORT-specific items INCLUDING the official launch of our brand new women’s cut t-shirts featuring the Marlys! "Do the Funky Chicken/Listen to WORT" artwork by Lynda J. Barry. The t-shirts are being produced by a women's clothing cooperative in rural
NFCB CONFERENCE
Along with the fellow full-time members of the staff collective I attended the 31st annual NFCB conference in Portland, OR last week and have come back with information quite pertinent to WORT fundraising efforts (falling under the general areas of our upcoming Major Donor Campaign, membership software, online fundraising, and pledge-rapping training workshops that Sybil and I will be organizing in a few months).
Maggie Weiser (interim)
· Bowl-A-Thon was a success. The turn-out was great, and we had a great group of volunteers helping out. Volunteer Ralph Shively helped coordinate sponsorships and food donations, as well as providing expertise in all things Bowl-A-Thon. This was very helpful to me, being new to this event. The bands were on time, and very personable. And they sounded really good. So I am a happy camper. I will be able to provide numbers for what we raised at the event in my next report (still crunching the numbers).
· I've been working with Norm and Jill Hopke on grants for the Sister Station Committee to bring a delegation from Radio
· I also worked with Glenn and volunteer Kris Schiltz on an ASM grant from UW so that we can cover printing costs of "Students for WORT."
· The Events Committee met on Monday, March 20th. It was a "working meeting" dedicated to Bowl-A-Thon preparation where we distributed flyers, sorted prizes, and assigned duties and tasks. All committee members were present, and also Glenn. There are no notes, because there was not much discussion. We are scheduled to have our next "regular" meeting on Wed, April 26th at
· The Fundraising Committe met on March 23rd. See Jane's notes.
Overture (3)
Frank Productions
UW Arts Institute
Madison Symphony Orchestra
Madison Festival Choir
Madison Chamber Choir
TapIt-NewWorks
UW Milwaukee - San Gemini Program
*Renewals:*
Willy Bikes
Midwest
Remember Me Productions
Operations
Norm Stockwell
The Engineering Committee met earlier this month and discussed and planned various projects (see Eng Comm Report). We are in the process of getting the Building evaluated by a structural engineer & architect.
Plans are underway for an exciting Grassroots Radio Conference in July, and WORT was well represented at the annual NFCB (National Federation of Community Broadcasters) this past weekend.
Glenn Mitroff
We had the great privilege of hosting Anna Backlund from Mid Sweden University for a 10 day spring break internship from March 20-30. Anna participated in staff meetings, helped with data entry of pledge payments, reported for IOBY, made phone calls to thank volunteers from the winter drive, and even cleaned up and mulched the flower beds at the front of the station.
I have consulted with staff regarding numerous requests for community service. We have a good process for reviewing these requests to determine whether or not placement would be appropriate, and whether or not we have tasks that need to be done that fit the person’s skill level, schedule and number of hours needed. We also have to weigh the amount of volunteer and staff time that we need to devote to training and supervision. We have been able to accommodate some individuals while letting others know that we are not able to place them.
I prepared a script to be recorded by the Promos which thanks WORT volunteers past and present. The announcement will run during National Volunteer Week, April 23-29. (Let me take this moment to personally thank each and every one of you for your hard work and dedication to the station as volunteers and Board members. As staff, we are well aware of the many hours each month that you carve out of your personal lives, to oversee and guide the station. We appreciate the skill, enthusiasm and caring that each of you bring to the collective stewardship of this incredible community treasure.)
Administrative
In conjunction with other staff, we produced a faux underwriting announcement for Share-A-Meal with Community Shares which ran 20 times. This helped us fulfill some of our required volunteer hours with CSW.
Outreach
Working with a volunteer from
Community Advisory Board
The CAB met on March 22nd for their Annual Meeting. Mitch Rosefelt was elected as Chair and Joel Garb as Secretary. (Action item—Board approval needed.) The next CAB meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, May 2nd at
I was having problems sending documents by email to the CAB. Working with Tom Christie, we were finally able to track down and fix the problem which was a setting on the size of the documents allowed within that particular list serve.
Marketing Communications & Outreach Committee
(See separate report)
Bowl-A-Thon
I attended the Events Committee meeting on March 20th, focused on planning and preparations for the Bowl-A-Thon. It was a very energized and productive meeting. Committee members volunteered to post fliers in specific neighborhoods; volunteer needs for the event were assessed and committee members signed up for many of the slots; prizes were packed up.
The event on April 8th went quite well. We had excellent volunteer support. Maggie and Ralph Shively did a fantastic job of coordinating the event. The turnout was good and everyone seemed to enjoy the bowling, food and music. The bands were very gracious about the unexpected change in schedule due to the UW Men’s Hockey team playing in the finals that night. The bowling alley staff were much more engaged with the event than in previous years. A number of bowlers, volunteers and staff have suggested that we hold the event at a bowling alley in
Block Party
I talked with listener sponsor and neighbor Stefanie Moritz who is coordinating the annual clean Bassett neighborhood clean up day on May 20th the day before our Block Party. She lent support to the idea of asking the city to schedule their curb-to-curb street cleaning BEFORE the block party so that WORT volunteers can avoid the back breaking work of removing the leaves, dirt, etc. from the gutters. I sent a letter to Alderman Mike Verveer which he forwarded to the Streets Division. So hopefully this issue will be satisfactorily resolved.
I accompanied Maggie to the Board meeting of the 4th Ward Loft to ask them to sign off on our permit for the Block Party. It was great to see the enthusiastic support for the party that we have amongst our neighbors.
Great Taste of the
I am working on assignments for this year’s Great Taste which takes place on Saturday, August 12th. Since tickets go on sale May 1st and usually sell out within a few hours, I plan to complete assignments for the WORT volunteers by Friday, April 28th so that I can let folks know whether or not they have received a volunteer spot prior to the day that tickets go on sale.
If you would like to be a WORT Volunteer at this event, please send me an email, subject: Great Taste Volunteering, no later than April 26th. Let me know whether or not you can lift 50 lbs. And push 150 lbs on a hand truck.
First Tuesdays Reggae Benefit at the Cardinal
FRP has been talking with staff about the Cardinal’s request that we either pay them to cover the person at the door or provide our own door person. Sybil and I worked the door on April 4th and realized that it would be a difficult position to put a volunteer in. The staff collective has been discussing this issue and will be drawing up a proposal for the Cardinal. Norm will run the proposal by our legal counsel prior to discussing specifics with the Cardinal.
Print Ads
In addition to our monthly ads in Maximum Ink and Rick’s Café, we have two ads for May—a half page ad for the program book for the anniversary party of the
Press Coverage
Volunteer engineer Bill Livick wrote a great article titled, “WORT Radio Celebrates 30 Years” which appeared in “dining entertainment”.
News and Public Affairs Facilitator
Nathan Moore
NFCB
Good times at the NFCB this year. Went to some particularly helpful discussions of disaster planning, community journalism ethics, and regional news collaborations. I co-presented two workshops: “Making Programming Change,” where I shared the Programming Committee flowchart, and “News in the Balance,” where I laid out my ideas about public journalism. I also attended the Pacifica Affiliates meeting, and there seems to be increasing political will to involve the affiliates as more than content receivers. And
Contract bargaining
The staff collective came up with its initial package of proposals. As I said at the April 12 meeting, these are all relatively small changes to the existing contract, and not any kind of major overhaul. I’ll bring copies of the proposal package to the Board meeting.
Grassroots Radio Conference 11
• Again, the GRC-11 date will be July 28-30. Planning is on target with our timeline.
• The website is up at <www.grassrootsradio.info>. I did the HTML myself, with Tom’s help on the registration form submit script. Jim’s friend in Chicago (Chris) is almost finished with a house-share site for folks to offer their homes or find places to bed down.
• The GRC-11 flier made it into the NFCB tote bags for conference goers. I got a lot of positive comments from people, indicating that they’ll be coming. If the buzz is any indication, we should have a good conference this July.
Programming Committee
See separate report.
Staffing
• Cheri Dubiel hosted her last APA as a regular host last Thursday. I’m still working with Esty Dinur and Judith Siers-Poisson to hire a new host, and will fill Cheri’s weeks with subs in the meantime.
• Thursday’s IOBY has officially settled into a routine of every-other-week hosting for Sara Braun and Meredith Holmgren. A couple new IOBY volunteers are coming in this week.
• Tony Collins (Schaeve) is back in town and I’m looking for something he can volunteer with, particularly engineering.
• Bill Livick is still out, and Mary Beth Schmitt has been filling in for his APA engineering. Other APA engineers have settled back into their usual routing, following some Spring travel.
• Dan Jaffee announced to me that he’ll be leaving his APA host position in August or so to take a professorship in
• Ken Rineer’s heart surgery recovery is taking a bit longer than he expected, so I’ve been filling in for the Access Hour producer/engineer position. He should be back at it this week or next.
Pledge Drive
Worked with a volunteer named Ben to produce (i.e. burn CDs) several pledge premiums in-house. I’ve had to burn a few more since then because of undercounts, so we’re tweaking the process for next time. This is the first drive in which we have successfully moved a good number of our in-house produced premiums, including some from WORT-originated content. We also have handsome CD labels for these premiums.
Ethics Panel
The UW-Madison student chapter of the Society for Professional Journalists has invited me to be on an ethics panel this Thursday to talk about how bloggers fit in with traditional media.
News Workshops and Discussions
I’m likely going to put these formal workshops on a summer hiatus until late July. I’ll be doing some summer traveling and a lot of GRC planning, so it’s not super practical. I’ll still be doing informal trainings aplenty, and I’d like to host some news department discussions. Look for info next month.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home