Tuesday, March 14, 2006

March 2006 Staff reports to board

Music Director
Sybil Augustine

The pledge drive went fairly smoothly, with most music shows making their goals. Cipher Zone did exceptionally well, with totals of $300 on their first show and $650 on week #2! Los Madrugadores, Hmong Radio, On the Horizon and Friday's Democracy Now! also did well, as did our new host Predator on Friday afternoon. But overall contributions were down, likely due to numerous factors converging such as listeners' donations to relief causes such as hurricanes and tsunami, and the rising costs of gasoline, electricity and heating fuels. Some hosts, whether new or experienced, need more training in pledge drive skills and procedures and I'm working with Jim G. to identify those folks and set up training sessions for them.

My assistant, Jenni Olsen, has joined the Other Voices lineup and did quite well in her first pledge drive. The collective is still looking for a fourth woman to join and has been making on-air announcements on all classical shows as well as posting around the station. If this doesn't yield any candidates we will try running advertisements in local papers and record something for over the air.
Patrick Swickard has left the station and the city for warmer climes, and so I'm looking for a replacement for Showroom Lugnuts on Thursdays, 2-5 am. I have a candidate who will follow pretty much in his footsteps with experimental, eclectic selections, but have not been able to get him in for training yet although I do have enough subs available to cover the slot for the next few weeks.

Tara Ayres has stepped down from hosting Her Infinite Variety 1-2x a month but has stepped up to hosting Better Living Through Show Tunes for the most part, although Bruce Wheeler will still be involved. Sue Goldwomon and I have been reviewing prospective hosts for the last week of the month, hoping to bring in someone who will appeal to a slightly younger, more "rocking" demographic.

Speaking of rocking, among hosts of 8-11 pm shows some folks have elected to play only 2-3 songs for their "new disc at nine" so they don't have to pull the plug and interrupt streaming, and we discussed this programming element at our last meeting. The Committee affirmed the desirability of the New Disc, and our wish for folks to continue this as part of their programs, but we offered an alternative where if you don't want to turn off the stream, you *may* use several new discs but play no more than 3 songs from a single artist or 4 songs from a collection, as long as it adds up to a total of 20-35 minutes of new music.

And speaking of webstreaming, we still don't have a proper switch to turn off the web stream, nor do we have any mechanism in place to provide music or any message to folks who might try to tune into the stream during times when it's shut off. I addressed the Engineering Committee about this so they'd make it a priority, and then Laura G. brought a new idea for a way to construct the switch that should be ready much sooner and make things much simpler than originally planned.
We also have a listserve set up now to answer questions from programmers about any and all web streaming issues.

I've received word that WORT will get a special award for our 30 years of service to the community at this year's MAMA Awards. I will find a music volunteer from among the Cipher Zone programmers to help accept the award with me that night (March 18, 8 pm, Wisconsin Union Theater.)

I'm working on a new music department newsletter to bring folks up to speed on new developments with the library filing system, culling of CDs, review process for new music, web streaming Q & A, etc. etc. Since I didn't go to Austin this week, I'll hopefully be taking a week or so off pretty soon and can notify everyone about that in the newsletter as well.

Listener Sponsor Development Director
Jim Goronson

WINTER 2006 PLEDGE DRIVE
* We finished auditing pledge drive show folders/tally sheets last Friday and the current audited total of pledges for the drive is $97,122. Once again our Listener Sponsors are fulfilling their pledges at an astronomical rate: so far we have received and processed $53,361 in pledge donations (the vast percentage being from credit card donations) and I'm going to spend the rest of this afternoon entering in a LARGE stack of check and cash pledge donations. Keep in mind that this is nine days after the pledge drive ended--take pause and think of the REMARKABLE donor base we have.

WINTER 2006 PILOT
* The Winter Pilot was mailed to 3,014 people in mid-February and we have been receiving (many) dozens of donations from the Pilot that I have not even begun to process yet. Our new data entry volunteer Lisa Nunez will begin entering in Pilot donations tomorrow.

FALL 2005 PLEDGE DRIVE
* With all pledges processed from the drive the total amount pledged is $111,281. We have received $101,573 in pledge payments--a fulfillment rate of over 91% (with pledge payments still trickling in). NOTE: This is the same update from February--I'll have updated numbers next month (I've been a little busy).

DECEMBER 2005 DIRECT MAILING
* So far we have received 109 donations totalling $8,090. This is also the same report from February.

GOODBYE SWICKAPE!
* I can report that Patrick Swickard has made it safe and sound to his new home Santa Fe, NM after completing his contract work doing invaluable data entry during the pledge drive. Before leaving town last Wednesday Patrick processed $50,000 in pledge drive donations. Feel free to contact me with any suggestions for who should replace him as our data entry guru during pledge drives.

CSW STUFF
* I attended a CSW new board member orientation meeting last Monday Feb. 6th. I missed the CSW board meeting that took place during the pledge drive.


BUSINESS and FOUNDATION DEVELOPMENT
Maggie Weiser (interim)

*I am feeling recovered from the pledge drive, at long last.
PLEDGE DRIVE
It seemed a bit of a struggle arranging all the meals this time around.
A lot of previous donors felt a bit broke this spring. Anyway, all the food donors for the drive came through. I implemented a new postcard reminder system that worked out really well. Volunteers and staff helped pick up all the food, and return pots and pans. "The Promos" have recorded an on-air thanks promo for all food and coffee donors.

EVENTS COMMITTEE
The Events Committee met on Wednesday, March 8th (see notes attached).
There was a lot of Bowl-a-thon discussion, as well as a brainstorm of entertainment possibilities for the WORT Block Party. Next meeting will be on Monday, March 20th, and will be designated for Bowl-a-thon preparedness.

UPCOMING EVENTS
Bowl-a-thon:
Set for Saturday, April 8th 7pm-1am at the Village Lanes in Monona.
Musical groups The Buffali, The Back 40s, and The Motor Primitives will perform. Poster design is complete, and we have some printed already.
We have already received $1100.00 in sponsorship from area businesses for this event. In the next few weeks, I will be very busy arranging food for the event, hanging posters, obtaining more sponsors, etc.
WORT Block Party:
Glenn and I will meet with the 4th Ward Loft condo association on April 2nd to responsd to questions and concerns about the block party. We will present them with iformation, a map, and alternative parking arrangements. I will attend a Streets Meeting on April 5th, where I will present our application for street closing.
I am still considering entertainment options for the event, and will be contacting some bands this week.
Willy Street Fair:
WORT staff is considering making a counter-proposal to the Willy Street Fair planning coordinators regarding this year's involvement with the fair. WORT staff is discussing the possibility of increasing our involvement with the fair, extending our efforts to Saturday's festivities as well.

Operations
Norm Stockwell

Finance Committee will meet later this month (tomorrow), and will continue to work on plans for more lucrative investments.

The Engineering Committee met last week and discussed and planned
various projects (see Eng Comm Report). Tonite we will discuss a proposal for getting the Building evaluated by a structural engineer & architect.

A downtown power outage last week (pre-scheduled by MGE) allowed us the opportunity to further evaluate our abilities to respond to unplanned power outages. We are able to successfully run the station using pre-recorded programming from the transmitter site. Based on the conditions at the station, we plan to add a few more battery powered exit signs.

Following the very successful test of webstreaming last December, we
obtained the use of 50 streams at 96kbps (better than FM radio, less
than a CD). We launched a new full-time streaming service on February
6th. Training and discussions with music volunteers continues. Streaming has gone well so far, but we have yet to peak above 30 simultaneous listeners.

Our Sister-Radio station group hopes to submit a grant this week to bring two youth from El Salvador to Madison this summer.

Plans are underway for an exciting Grassroots Radio Conference in July, and WORT will be well represented at the annual NFCB (National Federation of Community Broadcasters) this April.


Volunteer & Outreach Coordinator
Glenn Mitroff

As you can imagine, most of my time this past month has been spent on pledge drive related activities. We had very good coverage for our pledge phones (ending with 95% of all shifts filled.) Five days into the drive, I sent my last appeal to fill remaining shifts. With a few exceptions that were easily dealt with, we didn't have to deal with many receptionists or pledge phone answerers being unable to make their scheduled shifts. We had fantastic volunteer and staff support for auditing pledge folders. Maggie did a great job of lining up food and food pick ups.

Post drive, I talked with Tom Christie about the best way to utilize the volunteer data that we have for the pledge phone answerers. From the sub list of those who gave an email address, Tom constructed a list serve. I have already used the list to thank the phone answerers for their help with the drive. Tom also made a separate list of for those without email, so that they can be phoned to be thanked and prior to the next drive to be invited to participate again. I have also worked to line up volunteers to assist with the first week of premium fulfillment during the rush times over lunch and the end of the day.

Maggie and I worked with volunteer Kris Schiltz to submit an application to Associated Students of Madison for operations funding for printing. Students for WORT 89.9 FM Community Radio requested the funding to be able to print materials for stuffing in the 3700 dorm mailboxes at the beginning of the fall and spring semester. Having gone through this process last year, it was much easier and much less time consuming to prepare for submitting the on-line application. The application was accepted. Maggie will accompany Kris on March 24th at the final stage of the process.

On March 9th, I was interviewed for an hour by Shannon Bell whose UW class is developing suggestions for improving service learning for both the agencies and students.

Tonight I will be doing "research" on taking pledges via computer at Wisconsin Public TV's pledge drive. I will be joined by at least two other WORT volunteers. Our shift is from 6:40-11pm. Since this is a "live show", we will be shown with our WORT t-shirts on while they interview the pledge volunteers. Tune in if you have time!

The Marketing Communications and Outreach Committee met last Thursday (see separate report.)

Next Monday, Anna Backlund will join us from Sweden for 10 days of volunteering. Anna has lived previously in Madison and Wisconsin, and is now in media studies.

Last Friday I was able to take the day off as a bit of comp time from the pledge drive. It was good to have a restful weekend in the country, enjoying the wonderful warm weather.

I plan to attend the Board meeting on Wednesday. I will be the representative from the MCOC.


News and Public Affairs Facilitator
Nathan Moore

Pledge Drive
• Pledge Drive went decently well, though it felt so much like pulling teeth that I should have a dentist’s license by now. The drive occupied the bulk of my time over the last few weeks.
• Got some complaints about too much pledge rapping during Democracy Now. I spent a great deal of time splicing up the Dem. Now MP3 files before broadcast so that we could break at opportune moments. That part went well. But I admit that perhaps my segments were too short for the lengthy pledge rapping we ended up doing. The ratio of rapping to program often ended up at 1:1 or worse.
• Overall, news and public affairs programming held its own and then some through the drive. A few blips, to be sure, but we’ll work on it for next time.

Grassroots Radio Conference 11
• The GRC-11 date has been settled on July 28-30. The Pyle Center is reserved already, and a remarkable number of people have offered to help ­ despite no solicitations for help yet.
• ACTION ITEM: The staff collective proposes that we split coordinator duties among two people: Nancy Mae (nee Nelson) and Laura Miller. Between the two of them, they would be paid for a maximum of 150 hours, or $1800, to be split up as they see fit with their conference organizing work. We can draw up the LTE paperwork right away if this is alright.
• I have drawn up a rough timeline for the conference and am already working with Nancy and Laura on it.

Programming Committee
• The Programming Committee has elected Laura Newman to be our new committee chair. This does not require any Board action.
• The Program Review Process development stalled due to the pledge drive. Committee members will pick up on it again soon.
• Cipher Zone and Friday Democracy Now seem to both be well-received ­ based on anecdotes, listener comments, and pledge drive totals.
• Semi-Action Item: Now with webstreaming, some evening rock DJs have complained about having to turn off the webstreaming for the “New Disc at Nine” segment. A programmer suggested not doing the segment in favor of webstreaming. The Committee voted to affirm its commitment to the “New Disc at Nine” segment, but with the provision that DJs may opt to play up to three tracks from several new discs, provided that the total time spent featuring new music is a bare minimum of 20 minutes.

Staffing
• The big news is that Cheri Dubiel will be stepping down as host of A Public Affair at the end of April. I will be putting out the call for an open hire for a new host.
• Several new volunteers for In Our Backyard, particularly on Thursday’s program. Bridget Holcomb and Helen Walls will carry the Wednesday hosting in Tyina Steptoe’s absence. We’re still trying to figure out the status of the Thursday female host, as it’s been shifting around a lot lately.
• Her Turn and the Science show have a couple new volunteers who have joined recently.
• Friday Democracy Now is being engineered by Emily Ehlers.
• Lucas Osmond is having some serious trouble getting to the station on a consistent basis for his Friday APA engineering. He’s passing the torch. I’m going to start training a fellow named Norman Jackson Carbajal to take over ­ and he used to engineer the 8:00 Buzz.
• Ken & Anthony Rineer are stepping back from their Radio Lit engineering. Anthony will continue as the Thursday news block engineer. Ken is taking over the Access Hour producer/engineer position in a couple weeks, following his recovery from heart surgery. (The surgery went well, by the way.) Mac Scateni will take their Radio Lit engineering shifts.

Pacifica National Board
I was not elected to the PNB this time around, so I will continue on the WORT BoD for some time yet.

News Workshops and Discussions
The third workshop went well ­ Interviewing Skills. Six folks came out, which ain’t bad considering the lack of publicity due to the pledge drive.

30th Anniversary Testimonials
The quarter-sheet blurb that we sent out with pledge thank-you cards has generated five new testimonials already. Hopefully more to come!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home